In this episode, we talk about how what it looks like to email like a Christian and how personal efficiency is not necessarily at odds with having a good witness in the workplace.
2:41 – Discuss article on “Emailing Like a Boss”
- How the author says her life was changed by responding to emails with shorter answers because it made her more responsive, and let fewer emails slip through the cracks.
- The author was inspired by seeing emails from top CEOs and politicians when they became public after high-profile email hacks.
- Mark Cuban is known for this practice.
- Like to article from BuzzFeed (warning: Language).
7:30 – Discussing the merits of this terse approach to email
- Allows you to get more emails answered.
- But there is a trade-off in personal warmth.
- Is this practice a good idea for Christians in the workplace?
8:30 – Emailing like a Christian—not a CEO
- The Bible has a lot to say about how believers communicate:
- Quoted Matt. 15:11; 12:34.
- Regardless of the medium through which Christians communicate, our communication should be markedly Christian.
- Explained Colossians 4:5–6.
- The way in which you email is part of your Christian witness in the workplace.
16:41 – Personal efficiency in email is not at odds with loving people in our communication
- Often, the most caring thing you can do with email is get back to someone right away, even if that means a shorter, more terse response.
- Long-winded emails do not equal better emails.
20:12 – The principles behind emailing like a Christian
- Be Responsive
- Be Clear
- Be Brief
- Be Kind
24:05 – Some examples of emailing like a Christian
29:26 – Conclusion
- Personal efficiency is not at odds with painting a good Christian witness. Often it can assist in that. So when it comes to emailing like a Christian the goal is simple:
- I want to have a good witness for Christ, by being a person who communicates well through email.
- That means I need to respond in a reasonable time frame. And it means I need to make sure my emails, like all my speech, are always gracious, seasoned with salt.
- BuzzFeedNew article referenced: I Tried Emailing Like A CEO And Quite Frankly, It Made My Life Better
- On the blog this week: More information about this podcast
- Another blog post on email – How to Handle Ministry Email Overload
- Reagan’s Stewardship & Productivity Course at The Institute for Church Leadership